Tuesday, May 27, 2008

When the Bell Rings

As part of the 23 Things Project we have explored blogs and Flickr. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I enjoy reading blogs by librarians who post program ideas. On Flickr I unexpectedly discovered some new storytime craft projects. My concern about these "things" is the incredible amount of time that can be spent (wasted?) in these pursuits.

I believe that these technologies can be beneficial as long as I watch the clock and set time limits when I begin to explore. An article in the May issue of School Library Journal recommends devoting only fifteen minutes a day to these new tools. So, when I begin to explore the next "thing," I will set my egg timer for fifteen minutes and when the bell rings I will stop and log out of whatever I am into. If my next blog post stops with no apparent conclusion, you will know what happened...the bell rang!

No comments: