Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Classics on Tape?

I have explored our digital media collection and searched for Jane Austen titles. I listened to an excerpt from Pride and Prejudice and expected to hear the familiar opening sentence, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." Instead, I heard instructions for "Classics on Tape." It sounds like this version of the classic novel is a digitized form of an old cassette recording. My favorite advice from the excerpt regards troubleshooting tips for a cassette that won't play properly, "...give it a brisk slap against a hard surface." I guess this clash of technologies (cassette vs. downloadable audio) reminds us how far we've come in the audio book world. Remember when the books on tape cassettes would get too close to the security equipment and the audio would be erased?

No comments: